How to study at a Greek university in 2018-2019 👩‍🎓📚👨‍🎓

If you have finished secondary education in your country and have documents to prove it, you can study for an undergraduate degree at a Greek university.

Tuition at Greek universities is free, and you don't need to speak Greek to apply.

Any Greek university that accepts you will give you up to one academic year to study Greek, become fluent in the language, and prove it with an official certificate.

Ready to enroll? You must act quickly! The enrollment period for 2018-2019 is Tuesday, July 17, to Tuesday, July 24.

Organizations that can help you apply

Arash Hemati from Study in Greece talks to prospective students Ali and Leila.

Study in Greece was created by Arash Hemati, who has walked this road himself. After coming to Greece from Afghanistan as a refugee, he graduated from Harokopion University in Athens.

The Study in Greece site is up-to-date and easy to use.

It's also endorsed and trusted by the Greek Ministry of Education and the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs. They refer foreign students to Study in Greece for trustworthy information.

You can contact Study in Greece by email at, on Facebook or by filling out this contact form.

Pyxida’s experts can help you navigate the admissions process.

You can contact Pyxida by phone at +302103814710 or by email at Pyxida is in Exarchia at Solomou 20, on the fourth floor. You can also visit its Facebook page.

people-reading---photo-by-Max-Pixel-for-Creative-Commonsphoto by Max Pixel - Creative Commons

Can I study at a Greek university?

Yes, if you have completed secondary education in your country and can prove it.

(Note: Distance-learning classes are not accepted as official secondary education.)

How can I apply for the course I’m interested in?

The time to apply for academic year 2018-2019 is Tuesday, July 17, to Tuesday, July 24.

This week, an online platform managed by the Greek Ministry of Education is available 24 hours a day here.

Visit the platform (in Greek and English) to complete a list of your top 20 choices of university departments.

Study in Greece can help with this process.

How do I choose the university department I want to attend?

Every year, usually in June, Greek universities announce the number of foreign students they will accept in each of their departments for the coming academic year.

Study in Greece has an up-to-date search tool for all Greek university departments offering undergraduate studies. The site also launched a search tool to find information on postgraduate studies offered by Greek universities.

What documents do I need to apply?

After you use the online platform, you need to send the Ministry of Education:

  • A copy of an ID, passport, Full Registration Card or Residence Permit, to prove your identity
  • One ID-type photograph
  • A signed copy of the application (printed directly from the online platform)
  • A signed copy of the official statement (printed directly from the online platform)
  • A legible photocopy of your graduation certificate, officially translated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, your embassy or consulate, or a Greek Lawyer.
  • Your graduation certificate and academic record, certified by one of the following:
    • The Directorate of Greek Studies Abroad, Ministry of Education, Research and Religious Affairs
    • Directorates of Secondary Education
    • Education officer at your embassy in Greece

Note: Copies of all these documents should be sent — by express mail (courier) only — to the Ministry of Education, no later than Wednesday, July 25.

Address the package exactly like this:

DPT. Α΄ off. 0091,
37, A. Papandreou P.C.. 15180, Maroussi – Athens, Greece
for the attention of:
The committee in charge of collecting and checking application-entry forms from foreigners of non-Greek origin for the year 2018.

What if I don't have all these documents?

Unfortunately, for the 2018-2019 academic year, if you do not have all the required documents you cannot apply.

The Greek government, Greek universities, UNHCR and NGOs working on education issues in Greece are all aware that many refugees are missing the required documents.

They are working to find a solution to this problem, but they haven't found one yet.

How will I know if I was accepted?

Acceptances are usually announced by the end of September, just a few days before registration starts.

Check this Greek government website for the announcement (in Greek).

To check, you will need to enter your initials and the candidate code you got when you applied.

Do I need to be fluent in Greek to study in Greece?

You do not need to speak Greek to apply. However, after your first year, you need to be fluent in Greek.

To prove you are fluent, you need to get the official state Certificate of Attainment in Modern Greek.

How do I get the Certificate of Attainment in Modern Greek?

You must complete special courses and pass exams.

If you don't speak any Greek yet, it will take you almost eight months to complete the special courses and pass your exams.

The exams are held twice a year, usually in March and September.

Get detailed information on where to take special courses for the Certificate of Attainment in Modern Greek on Study in Greece.

How much does the Certificate of Attainment in Modern Greek cost?

You will need to spend almost €500 to attend the courses, plus €50 to take the exams.

The University of Athens and University of Thessaloniki used to offer some free courses to help students prepare for the certificate exams, but they don’t right now.

Study in Greece will let you know about any free courses offered in the future.

How much is tuition at Greek universities?

There are no tuition fees or registration costs for undergraduate studies in Greek universities.

Most of the books are also provided for free, and university libraries are available to all students.

Are all courses taught in Greek?

Yes, all undergraduate courses in Greek universities are taught in Greek.
Are there any benefits for university students in Greece?

With a university student ID, you get discounts for transportation, tickets to cultural events, and services.

Some universities offer free meals to students who show that they can’t afford to pay for food.

A few campuses offer free accommodation, but it is usually very hard to get.

Do university students in Greece get medical insurance?

Yes, all university students have state medical insurance for as long as they are registered as students in their universities.

How can I apply for a postgraduate (master's or doctorate) program in a Greek university?

The process for applying for postgraduate studies in Greek universities is completely different from the undergraduate process.

If you are interested in a particular postgraduate program, contact its administrative office to learn more about how to apply.

Keep in mind that you will probably need to pay tuition fees between €1,500 and €4,500 per year.

Anything else I should know?

Read more about the application procedure this year on Study in Greece.

For even more information, see the Ministry of Education announcement.

Good luck with your application!