Top tips on getting a job in Greece 🇬🇷

Do you have a question about getting a job in Greece?

Did you miss the Refugee.Info employment Live Chat on our Facebook page, early in March?

No worries!

We gathered here the most important questions and answers, as provided by refugee employment experts from the organization Generation 2.0.

You can still watch our Live Chat videos on our Refugee.Info Facebook Page.


How can I find a job in Greece?

First, you need to write a strong Curriculum Vitae (CV), where you will include your work experience, your education and skills.

  • You can see a video tutorial on how to write a CV here.

Then you should start searching for a job on a regular basis, ideally every day.
You can search for a job either on various websites with job openings, or through the network of people you already know.

  • Find the most important websites with job listings here.
  • You can see a video tutorial on how to search for a job in Greece online here.

You can also send your CV to companies or organizations you would like to work for and express your interest even if there is no current job opening.

Another important step is to prepare yourself for a possible job interview. During a job interview you have the opportunity to show that you are the ideal candidate for the job, so you should be well prepared and confident.

  • Find out more on how to prepare for a job interview in a guide on employment in Greece that the organization Generation 2.0 prepared here.


Am I allowed to work if I have a Pre-Registration card?

If you have a Pre-Registration card, you don’t have the right to work in Greece yet.

You are eligible to work in Greece only if you have a Full Registration card, even if you are still waiting for an asylum decision.

What documents do I need to be able to find a job and work?

In order to be eligible for work, you need to have:

After you get a job offer and sign a contract with an employer, you will need to get a National Insurance Number (IKA-AMA number) and open a bank account.

  • Find more on the procedures and rights to work in Greece here.

I am under 18 years old. Am I allowed to work?

If you are under 15 years old you are not allowed to work in Greece.

If you are over 15 years old but not yet 18, you can work under specific circumstances.

These are:

  • You shouldn’t be working at hazardous, unsanitary or harsh positions or jobs that could possibly harm your mental health or limit the healthy development of your personality.
  • If you are under 16 years or if you attend school, you shouldn’t work more than 30 hours per week and no more than 6 hours per day.
  • Night work is also not allowed. The only exceptions are if you participate in a theatrical play, musical performance, a commercial or TV program, etc. In this case, you need a special permit.


Can I work if I don't know any English or Greek?

If you are not able to communicate in English or Greek, it will be really difficult to search for a job and even more difficult to find a job.

It is possible, however, to find an unskilled job, where communication is not so much needed, or to find a job as an expert in a particular handcraft position, where you will not need much guidance. It always depends on the willingness of the employer to employ people who don’t speak any English or Greek.

Wherever I go searching for a job they ask me for a diploma. How can I find a job without having a diploma?

There are specific jobs, like medical ones, where you need a special permit to do it. For a teaching job, for example, you need to submit a specific diploma that is recognized by authorities.

There are many other jobs, however, where there is no need for a diploma.

Most of the time, employers will place high value on your previous work experience.

If I am eligible to work in Greece, can I also work in another European country?

Even if you are a recognized refugee in Greece and you hold a Residence Permit, you don’t have the right to work in another European country.

Even a Greek Travel Document, does not give you the right to work in a country you visit.

To be able to work in another European country, you will need a work permit from that country.

Each country has different laws and procedures related to getting a work permit. For most countries, you need to have already accepted a job offer, and your new employer has to request a work permit for you.


If I have a university degree or a vocational training certificate from my country, how can I get it recognized in Greece?

You need to have the original document issued by the educational institute in your country, validated, either by the Greek consulate in your country or by your country’s consulate in Greece.

Next, request an official Greek translation of your degree or certificate at the Translation Service of the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The translation costs €9.50, or €14 for faster processing.

Finally, you need to submit both the original documents and their official translations to the relevant Greek authority that is responsible for recognizing degrees and certificates from another country.

The procedure in both recognition centers is complex, you might be asked to bring additional documents, such as transcripts, and the decision for recognition might take more than a year.

How can I find a job in the profession I had in my country, such as painter, carpenter, plumber, hairdresser, tailor, cook, hotel worker, accountant?

Search online every day using the most popular websites with job listings and explore the local labor market for any opening.

For some professions, such as accounting, you should have your diploma recognized and obtain a special work permit.